Saturday, April 2, 2011

London coffee review: Is coffee your daily grind?



Now that I am living in London, I feel compelled to mention how disappointed I am that the coffee is so often deplorable. And when I say deplorable, I mean that the coffee is horrifyingly, inexcusably, I feel like crying when I drink it, bad. So after two weeks of heart-breaking, coffee-related disappointment, I am going to get serious and begin my London search for a decent cup of coffee.

I have been considering how best to rate my experiences and have decided that I will be keeping it real people. I will not be waxing lyrical about the marbled crema, or the body of the bean or the imbued notes of honey gently settling on my tongue. No, no, no! This will be my straight to the point, take it or leave it, London café review.

Now lets get started with the first cafe off the rank…

Flat White, 17 Berwick Street, Soho  W1F 0PT

Many friends have recommended this place to me. I had high hopes that it would be awesome, given that it's in my beloved Soho and that it’s owned/run by fellow Antipodeans. At 3pm on a Thursday, it was heaving with people.

How was the coffee? It was pretty good. Definitely a decent cup of coffee. Was it better than others I’ve had in London? Absolutely. But London, you can do better. 
Did they have soy? Yes.
Would I go there again? Probably.
Should you go there? If you're in the area, yes. If you need to travel to get there, *shrug*  I am optimistic that I will find more good options, and hopefully one closer to you.  
Any other points to note? It was grungy (aka Atomica in Melbourne) and I did spy a CD of Fat Freddys Drop. Cool.

Next on my list to investigate are Lantana, Brick Lane Coffee and Monmouth Coffee Company. All suggestions welcomed.

My search continues…

Photo credit: UNSPECIFIED - CIRCA 1932: Mobile coffee station for the cold days, London, England.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm glad I found this blog.

    Check out mine? I'm a photographer.

    www.electricbrandon.com

    If you want, follow it & I'll do the same. :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete