Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Federation Cafe: Espresso Yourself

Before I get started with coffee review numéro deux, I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for the massive number of London coffee recommendations. A special thank you to Mr Grennan for today's cafe suggestion, which lead me to Brixton's very own...
Federation, Unit 46, Brixton Village Market, Coldharbour Lane
Federation felt to me like a little bit of New Zealand cafe culture, plonked in the middle of multifarious Brixton Village Market. For those of you who haven't visited the Brixton Village Market, there you will find food from the Caribbean, African textiles, Chinese herbal medicine, a music shop selling gospel and reggae, a tattoo studio just to name a few - all within the airy indoor, 1930's market and in its immediate surrounds. Do we really need a homage to beachy N.Z smack-bang in the middle of this very urban, cultural hot spot? Or does Federation being there add to the eclectic mix? I can't say for sure. Anyway, back to the coffee!
How was the coffee? My latte was strong, just how I like it. It was a great cup of coffee. Best so far. 
Did they have soy? Yes.
Would I go there again? Yes, but I think next time I would get a take-away. There's too much other intriguing stuff happening not to have a wander. 
Should you go there? Yes, but to do above. Or, if you really want to sit and chill out whilst having a great cup of coffee and stealing someone's wifi (as I did), then it's a good cafe for that too. 
Any other points to note? En route, I was propositioned for sex. Thanks, but no thanks. And, as a result of the Rastafarian-manned street stall at the entrance to the market, I came home smelling like barbecued jerk chicken. All in a days work really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment