Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Caravan: I aroma round a lot

It's literally raining pollen. I've sought out Caravan - a restaurant, bar and roastery on Exmouth Market - to spend an hour or so trying to avoid choking to death on the miscellaneous tree spunk flying around the streets. 

Caravan    11-13 Exmouth Market, London,  EC1R 4QD

Caravan is buzzing. There's a line of people waiting for a table and the maître d’ is gripping her clipboard so tightly her knuckles are opaque. Oh dear. The staff seem friendly, except that they are refusing to make eye contact. Instead, they dart around, orbiting just out of my reach.

In the meantime, I can't help but notice that many of the very cool looking diners are bravely participating in the current fashion trend of en masse denim wearing. I see denim vests, denim blazers, denim brimmed hats, even acid washed denim. Denim is trending all over the place. 

How was the coffee? Quite drinkable, but watery and too bitter for my tastes. The eggs are redemptive. My perfectly cooked scrambled eggs were exemplary.
Did they have soy? Yes!
Would I go there again? Yes, for the eggs. 
Should you go there? Yes, for the eggs. And the atmosphere.
Any other points to note? There’s a private dining table in the basement, by the coffee bean roaster and right near the open kitchen. Could be fun for dinner with a group of friends.

*The above image was appropriated from www.caravanonexmouth.co.uk

1 comment: